STRAIN is an injury to a muscle or tendon in which the muscle fibres tear as a result of overstretching. A strain is also known as a pulled muscle.
There are 3 grades of strain -
- Grade 1 strains usually cause stretching of a few of the muscle fibers.
- Grade 2 injury is more significant damage.
- Grade 3 injury is a complete rupture of the muscle.
SPRAIN is a tear in the ligament. The severity varies from grade I,II, III.
The grading system for sprain injury are –
- Grade 1 sprains stretch fibers of the ligament.
- Grade 2 sprains are injuries where part of the ligament is torn.
- Grade 3 sprains are when the ligament is completely torn or ruptured.